The killer’s manifesto made a couple of things clear.
- He is a racist who identifies with the Christchurch shooter. The New Zealand killer was a socialist/environmentalist.
- The El Paso killer is also an environmentalist. His environmentalism is also the basis for his racism and anti-immigrant views: “Our lifestyle is destroying the environment of our country. The decimation of the environment is creating a massive burden for future generations. Corporations are heading the destruction of our environment by shamelessly overharvesting resources. This has been a problem for decades. . . . Urban sprawl creates inefficient cities which unnecessarily destroys millions of acres of land. . . . Corporations that also like immigration because more people means a bigger market for their products. . . . So the next logical step is to decrease the number of people in America using resources. If we can get rid of enough people, then our way of life can become more sustainable.”
- The El Paso Walmart killer hates companies and technological change such as automation, but he seems to support at least some Republicans.
- “Recently, the senate under a REPUBLICAN administration has greatly increased the number of foreign workers that will take American jobs. Remember that both Democrats and Republicans support immigration and work visas.”
- President Trump wants to let more people immigrate to the US, but he wants more people coming based on merit. Obviously, that isn’t something that this killer would agree with. Nor is Trump an environmentalist. He is also a businessman. As the killer says: “Some people will blame the President or certain presidential candidates for the attack. This is not the case. I know the media will probably call me a white supremacist anyway and blame Trump’s rhetoric. The media is infamous for fake news. Their reaction to this attack will likely just confirm that.”
- That he anticipated he was going to die: “My death is likely inevitable. . . . Capture in this case if [SIC] far worse than dying during the shooting . . . .”
- This killer picked a target that he thought would be an easy target: “Remember: it is not cowardly to pick low hanging fruit. AKA Don’t attack heavily guarded areas to fulfill your super soldier COD fantasy. Attack low security targets. Even though you might out gun a security guard or police man, they likely beat you in armor, training and numbers. Do not throw away your life on an unnecessarily dangerous target. If a target seems too hot, live to fight another day.”
- This killer obviously did a lot of planning, despite his claim to the contrary. From the target to the gun and ammunition used, he tried to figure out the best way to kill as many people as possible.